Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Potter and Me

For those of you who aren’t poetry lovers, I’ve really been putting you to the test lately, haven’t I? I’m sorry. I do write a lot of poetry, but it’s not my intent to turn this into a poetry blog, as I realize that there are more people who are ambivalent toward poetry than those who really love it. But, I’ve spent my evening writing and so that is what I have to show for it.

I’ve been thinking about how Jesus is able to see past the hurt, pain and crud in our hearts and see the character hidden deep down that He created. Take Simon Peter for example. How many times have you heard a sermon about Peter that pointed out his many weaknesses – his impetuousness, his ability to speak before he thought, cowardice, etc., and yet Jesus renamed him Peter “the Rock” (Matthew 16:18). Jesus looked past his character flaws and saw the qualities that would be Peter’s crown and enable him to actually be the one to preach the first gospel sermon, leading the first Gentiles to a relationship with the Lord. He saw what Simon would become and named him accordingly.

I love the scripture Isaiah 64:8, it says, “Yet, O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand.” The following is what came out of my evening of pondering these things:

The Artist
Holds in His hand
A lump of clay
And with His touch
It is transformed
At first only the Artist’s imagination
Can see the potential there
Then the transformation
His hands move and form
Friction
Scraping and pain
As it’s molded
Into its intended nature
A stunning piece
Unique
Its charm unmistakable
To only the Artist at first
One day
Its unique beauty
Evident to all

The people around me day in and day out see more of my sin than I wish they did. They see the insecurities, the selfishness and anxiousness that is so prevalent in my heart. And God sees those things as well – but he also sees what I can become. I am a lump of clay in his hands and he is hoping to shape and form me into a useful and beautiful vessel, evident to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment