Sunday, August 9, 2009

The End Of Summer

This morning I’m a willing participant in my own version of the book Charlotte’s Web. My neighbors and friends down the hill from me have a little farm right here in the middle of suburbia and the animals are all waking up with me this morning. In fact, they’re getting rowdy down the hill and I’m wondering if Charlotte is spinning her web and they are all standing around having some discussion as I sit up here sipping my tea. I’m actually enjoying their company.

I’m on the porch again. I can’t seem to pry myself out of this old white chair. It’s a beautiful morning – a slight breeze is blowing, not a cloud in the sky and I’m reveling in the last morning of summer. This last week has been a fun one – I even took a day off and spent the afternoon at the pool with my kids and some friends. I used to experience days like that all the time before I had to go back to work, and I know I took that time for granted. I don’t anymore. I am grateful for every second of time to relax and just be… I believe God knew that I needed to somehow find time and a place (a.k.a my front porch) where I could unwind and sort of center myself. Everyone should have a spot – a place that is all their own where they find special comfort and moments to relax and a period of time that is just a bit slower and less structured. Summer is that time for us – our family schedule is so much more manageable and more peaceful.

When I was a stay at home mom, I loved summer with my children, but I did look forward to school starting. Summer was fun for about 7 weeks, and then it became hard to keep the kids entertained and happy and the house clean. That first week of school was like a little taste of heaven. I’d have my quiet time in the morning, go walk with my friend, go to lunch a couple of times, clean the house, run errands and still have a little time to read. Now, I dread the start of school. The alarm is set for 5:15 a.m., the evenings are filled with homework, activities, baths and stuff! It’s overwhelmingly busy!! I’m not sure if I’ve ever mentioned that I’m not what you’d consider a “Type A” personality, in fact, I definitely fall somewhere much further down the line. I’m not lazy, but I am one of those people that values having a little bit of time every day to myself to be quiet and still. That happens MUCH less during the school year. In fact, my porch may become a weekend longing more than a weekday occurrence.

And so…this morning I am sitting on my porch, listening to the animals causing a raucous down the hill, watching the sun rising, and enjoying that last little bit of quiet that I love. As summer is winding down, my porch will see less of me and I may be rambling a little less often. I hope not, because I’m really enjoying this little chance to throw my heart out to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment