Saturday, August 1, 2009

Friendships

I’ve been thinking about friendships lately - how crucial and meaningful they can be. I love my friends…and I’m blessed with many long term and deep relationships. Someday I’d like to write a book about it, but for now I’ll just settle with a daily thought on a blog. Proverbs 17:17 is one of my favorite verses, it says, “A friend loves at all times and a brother is born for adversity.” A short and simple verse that is on cards and plaques everywhere yet it’s so much more than a sappy sentiment. You really do see who your friends are when you come face to face with adversity. A few people run, but the ones that stay, they are the loyal friends that you always hoped for. I think I’ve come to understand the true meaning of friendship better. My friends have been AMAZING to me these past few years in particular and I feel I have gained a deeper understanding of God’s unconditional love for me along the way.

One of my friends, during the hardest time of my divorce, came over almost every night for about two weeks to help me pack up my house so my kids and I could move. She had worked all day as well and I know she was exhausted. One weekend a group of women from my church came over on a Saturday and helped me paint the inside of the house I was moving into. Another sweet woman watched my kids for me every day after school for months – and fixed us all dinner many times because she knew how tired I was. My best friend, who lives far away, opened her home to me a couple of times when she knew I just needed to be with her and out of the stress I was living in. I could go on and on with stories of how they rallied around me so unbelievably. They were the hands and feet of God to my children and I.

The unconditional love my friends have exhibited has given me a glimpse into the very heart of God. Believe me, I didn’t do much for any of them for quite a while – I was in survival mode for a long time. But it showed me so much about grace and love…and I understand more fully how God has loved me when I have had nothing of value to offer him except my heart. That’s it – just all of my heart. That’s why God wants us to have strong relationships – we show glimpses of God to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment