Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Thought On Prayer

Today I’ve been thinking about prayer and how I have struggled with it, reveled in it, dreaded it, loved it…I could go on and on. I have had many different thoughts and feelings about it. I think I might have finally come to terms with it. I’ve viewed it so differently over the years that it is actually almost comical. It started as a child with, “Now I lay me down to sleep…” and now it’s become a lifeline to a relationship with my Lord. I’d hoped for that but wasn’t sure it would ever happen. I’m still so far from where I want to be, but I see it as something to strive for and I believe it is attainable. At times it means working my way down a prayer list. Other times it is as simple as sitting on my front porch watching the sun rise and singing a song of praise or writing a poem.

It’s hard to write “a” blog on prayer. Someone could write a daily blog on prayer and still not touch the subject – it’s huge and it’s mysterious. I honestly don’t think I’ll ever really understand it, until I’m face to face with God himself. How can we ever really understand the significance? I’ve seen a shift in my own heart though that has been encouraging. I am starting to actually believe in its power. I’ve been a Christian since I was a teenager and I’m just NOW getting this? I’ve seen it – I’ve really seen God moving in my life and the lives of others around me like never before.

The last three days I’ve had the honor of joining a dear friend of mine in prayer and fasting. There are some hard things going on in her family and she needs wisdom to make sure she handles it in the best way. The road ahead could be pretty treacherous…or not...only God knows. So we have prayed – separately and together. God is answering her prayers. He’s answering her just the way he answered me when I was in turmoil and wondering how I could possibly survive. I’ll tell you how I survived (and am still surviving) my chaos…prayer. I prayed in anguish and through tears so many times. God worked through those times and he worked through the prayers of many people who loved me enough to approach God on my behalf.

“For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer…” 1 Peter 3:12 He’s loves me and whether he answers yes or no, He is listening.

1 comment:

  1. Prayer, what a subject! I believe that it takes faith to pray. Faith that God hears, Faith that he understands, and will keep his promises, Faith to know that his answer is the best for our lives.

    ReplyDelete