Friday, January 1, 2010

A Year To Listen

I’ve had the most amazing morning. I’ve been sitting here in my office, reading, praying and listening. I love days that are slow and allow me to be still and not run around with a long list of objectives. Today’s undisturbed and peaceful time has been refreshing. Of course it’s the beginning of a new year and that does lend itself toward re-evaluating and making lists of goals. I have to be honest; I’m not big on New Year’s resolutions. For years I would make a list and try to be spiritual by working my list and attempt to become a better person. And now? Well, I have goals, certainly, but I’m trying harder to listen to what God has planned for me and less “working” my own list. He sees the big picture of my life while I tend to have tunnel vision, not seeing beyond the week or month ahead of me.

I read and pondered on the two following verses this morning.

1 Corinthians 2:9
9However, as it is written:
"No eye has seen,
no ear has heard,
no mind has conceived
what God has prepared for those who love him"

Ephesians 3:20
20Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us…

In my limited thinking, I would probably reduce God’s plan for my life. His plans exceed my imagination. This loving Father, that I have a relationship with, has deposited in my heart via his Holy Spirit, the same power that raised Jesus from the dead. (Ephesians 1:18-20)

So with all that in mind, I’ve been quietly contemplating my year. It may be full of challenges, or it may be a relatively peaceful one. I have no way of knowing what my future holds. What I do know is this…if I walk with the Lord and really pour my heart into his – desiring to know his will and be like him, I can’t conceive the good things that are in store for me.

I have a few things that I hope will change in my character. I would like to be more secure and positive, I’d love to have the compassion in my heart to comfort hurting people that Jesus had, and I’d like to become more comfortable with my own emotions and demonstrating them to others. I think those are good characteristics to desire, but first and foremost, I want to walk with God this year and listen to what he has planned for me.

1 comment:

  1. What a refreshing way to look at the new year. I have also disliked resolutions. I look back on the year past and see ways God grew me that I never would have imagined. Although it took trials I don't wish to repeat, I'm glad I just took one day at a time, asking Him to guide and lead me and show me His will. My theme prayer has been, "not my will, but Yours be done" and I will continue that through this year as well. Thanks for sharing your journey...

    ReplyDelete