Sunday, June 20, 2010

God Is My Refuge

Think about the best place you’ve ever lived. What was it that made it a home for you? Did it feel like a sanctuary from the world? This morning I’ve been reflecting on my time in the house where I’m living. It was dubbed the “happy house of healing” by the friends who rented it to me. Tucked away on the back corner of 10 acres of land, it’s an oasis in the bustling suburbs of a big city. For me, it has become a haven and a place to recover from a big life change. Not only have I grown as a person here, but as a mother, a friend and as a servant to the King. Healing has definitely taken place. I used to sit on this porch watching the sun rise with tears running down my face, wondering what had become of the life that I knew.

Psalm 59:16
16 But I will sing of your strength,
in the morning I will sing of your love;
for you are my fortress,
my refuge in times of trouble.

Psalm 61:1-4
1 Hear my cry, O God;
listen to my prayer.
2 From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
3 For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.
4 I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.

When I think of the term refuge….so many things come to my mind but the word that walks alongside it for me is desperation. When you need a refuge, your heart is desperate. When I moved into the house, that is exactly how I felt. I had no idea what the future held. I moved in, set up house, and started doing my best to live my new life…and I started spending sunrises with my Father. And as I did that, the Lord really became my sanctuary, not the house. The house and the new home I was forging within it became the visualization for me of what the Lord could be….my shelter.

This morning I have tears in my eyes; these are different tears though. I am struck by God’s mercy to me. With the Lord as my refuge, the healing that has taken place in my heart is a glorious thing.

3 comments:

  1. Nothing can take this away. I feel your gratitude. You are being "still" and He is revealing himself to you. Incredible.

    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen - through your writings I feel the sense of peace that is filling you up. Grateful to see God heal you. Know you are loved and that your words inspire those who read them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to re-read this this afternoon, and am so glad. The reminders of His mercy, the richness of His love and healing is powerful. The gratitude I feel re-reading this is inspiring, Karen. Thanks so much. YOur writing is a very special gift.

    ReplyDelete